Whirlwind through West…Asia…

Is that even a place?  If all the ‘stans makeup central Asia, and Asia doesn’t officially end until I get to Istanbul, then what do you call the region that contains Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Turkey? 


Above: Georgian kids selling stuff on the side of the road!  So cute.  Hannah bought a squeaky bear toy for me from Leika, third from left.  Leika asked for the equivalent of 10 cents, but I convinced Hannah to give her a whole dollar.

By this point I was really truckin’ it, and going through a bit of a lull in picture-taking motivation, so I apologize for the relative lack of photographage.  From Baku, I went straight west across Azerbaijan, all the while suffering from a bad cold.  AZ countryside was beautiful, and I met a lot of friendly people who helped me out in various ways, but mostly I was really cranky and slept a lot, so there’s not much to tell. 

After AZ, I headed straight for Tblisi, the capital of Georgia, where I met up with Hannah and Emese again after ditching them rather unceremoniously in Baku.  We hung out, I fixed my computer, wine was drunk, the city explored a bit.


Above:  The deep deep subway system in Baku.


Above: I met up with H&E at the Comfort Hostel, cheapest place in Tblisi.  There I also meet Patrick, an Italian/Swiss motorcyclist and fellow heavy metal fan.  The two of us went out to check out some of the many metal bars in town.  The woman in the red shirt is  Eliza, the guesthouse owner.  Highly recommended!


West Asia was full of beautiful landscapes.  Everywhere was so idyllic and calm.  So nice and yet almost not dramatic enough to take pictures of.












West Asia was also where I started to see old castles and churches littering the landscapes.  Many of them were 800 or more years old.







Much camping was done, and for the first time on the entire two year trip, camping was always pleasant because there were no people around, and also I didnt' have to camp atop 15,000ft mountains in frigid temperatures or in deserts with no water or food around.  It had become like a regular vacation.  Most nights I was able to pitch camp right next to a gurgling brook and take a bath in it unperturbed, wake up late and spend much of the morning reading and drinking coffee before breaking camp.







And I even met a few people!  Including Angela, who is pushing that cart around the world

An also these Spanish folks who were desperate for some grub.  Luckily there is a small café just at the top of that mountain pass!


Finally, I arrived in Batumi, a Black Sea beachside town just across the border from Turkey.  There I chilled out with nice Russian people for a few days before continuing on to my very last country.