Final Frontier: Turkey

It was
bittersweet entering Turkey.
I had only about 1500 more kilometers to go before completing my journey, which meant that I would have achieved something pretty cool, but it also meant that the trip had to end.  My brother was getting married September 6, so I HAD to be home by then.  Turkey was pretty much devoid of hardships.  Every day I woke up well-rested, and cycled on near-perfect roads, most of which had wide shoulders that made for safe riding.  There was delicious food everywhere, so I almost never had to carry extra.  I gorged myself whenever possible, cycled far each day, and camped or couchsurfed most nights.  I met so many impressive people who were eager to hang out, share experiences, and help out a cyclist.

 Am I going to need luck after I enter Turkey?  This sign had me hesitating for a moment.

Sedat, owner of a hotel along the coast, keeps a couple of rooms available for warmshowers and couchsurfing.  When I was there he had about 6 people staying for FREE, including breakfast and dinner.  He's also a fun dude to hang out with, and has a couple of wicked BMW motorcycles.

 The hotel crew.

As you can see, I've met back up with H&E again.  We parted ways after Tblisi, and as I took a detour down towards Armenia, they continued west.  But I caught up with them at Sedat's and we spent the next week or so together.

Hasan, another couchsurfing host.  He's a very cool dude. 

 Hasan's crib

Most of the Black Sea coast looked about like this; the road just followed the coastline for hundreds of miles, with small towns breaking up the forested mountains.



 Having breakfast at a beach-side camping spot.

 We meet Ibo, a fine gentleman who, although he didn't speak a word of English, insisted on buying us all dinner, and then paying  for a hotel room (separate one for me of course).  He even proposed marriage to Emese.

 And finally the sad day arrives when H&E and I must part ways, really permanently this time.  They're heading south to Cappadochia while I must hoof it west to Istanbul so that I can fly home in time for my brother's wedding!

 Above and below: Some locals spending their morning making fishing nets.



A mountain-top camping site.  Turkey was an amazing place for camping.  There is so much unpopulated forest and beach, and it is so safe that I felt good about plopping down for the night just about anywhere.

 At a couchsurfing host's house on the outskirts of Istanbul.  Istanbul is a gigantic city, and its suburbs begin to appear about 250km out from the center.  After that, no more farmland, just buildings.

My host in Izmit.


 Finally, I arrive at Abdullah's home in the suburbs of 'stambool.  He's still a good 30km out from the Bosphorus, so my trip hasn't officially ended yet, but Apo's house is the last place I'll sleep before 'merica.  Apo attended senior year at my high school in Arkansas through the American Field Service, an exchange program for high school students.  This will make my third time to visit him in Istanbul; once in 2003, again in 2009, and now in 2015!

 Here I am in the city center.

Bird feet.
 This is either the Aya Sofia or the Blue Mosque

Grand Bazaar

Me and some street kids.

Most famous kebab place in all of Istanbul.  Yeah I won't try to pronounce it either.

Taksim square, the hub of Istanbul.

This area is where everyone goes to hang out.  There is live music every few feet on the street.

This restaurant is actually outdoors.

Abdullah and I stopping for a cold one.

Trolly cars narrowly avoiding pedestrians.

Having coffee at an alleyway cafe

Night view of Taksim

Night view of the Bosphorus

The highway bridge going over the Bosphorus.

Apo's wife, Ceylan, makes us an awesome breakfast!  (There is a separate Turkish breakfast post coming)

Wonderful morning.


Istanbul  has a huge harbor full of both commercial and private ships.


Hanging out at the water's edge.

I think we each could've eaten one of these.

People swimming in the Bosphorus with a container ship crusing past.

Sunset.