India Outtakes

Well my time in India is nearing to an end, for now anyway.  Soon I’ll be in Nepal, scooting around Annapurna, or hoofing it up to Everest Base Camp.  India’s been an intense place to spend a few months; I wouldn’t call it pleasant, but definitely interesting.  I’ve met some of the most annoying people I can possibly imagine here, but also some of the dearest.   I’ve had some of the hardest riding days yet, but also many of the best, gotten diarrhea from the worst food, but sampled some delectable delicacies.  You see where I’m going with this.  India is a land of contradictions.  I wouldn’t recommend you visit India if you need to decompress and have a “vacation,” but I would recommend you just go here.  Below are some random images and short explanations.  After looking at them you will still understand almost nothing about the place, just like me!


One of the northeast’s most famous guitarists.  I saw him live, playing the blues, in Guwahati.


A tailor.  Yes they’re really aggressive and annoying in India, and all over the rest of the world too.


Uncle Sinha and family.  They are our buddy Indrajit’s relatives, and put me and Mike up for several days while w took care of business in Siliguri.  Thanks!



Portrait of the ladies; Grandma Sinha, my friend Chandrani’s mother, and the devil incarnate.  This seemingly cute puppy had nothing but hate in its heart for me and Mike the entire time we were there.



A salesman stands on the street and bothers passersby, trying to entice them into buying whatever crap he is selling for way too much money.  Can you tell I’m bitter about these guys?


Chandrani eats cake.  It was great to make some friends who were my age, well educated, fluent English speakers, and who had similar ideas about the environment, politics, social issues, you name it.  There are some really smart, passionate young people in India with great ideas, and Chandrani, Indrajit (below), and Bu (below below) are good examples of this new generation of Indians who are going to change the whole damn place.


Indrajit eats cake.  “Indrajit” means “king of gods” in Hindi.  “Chandrani” (above) means “queen of the moon.”  Awesome names.  Indrajit houses me and Mike for 2 weeks in Guwahati, a steaming Assamese metropolis of several million people.  To be honest, I do not like Indian cities, at all, but it was great to feel at home at Indrajit’s home, and get to hang out with him, see how he lives his life, and help him out with his NGO, the We Are Young Foundation.  Thanks dude!



Beautiful Bu eats birthday cake.  Cuz it was her birthday.


Mike and I finally leave Indrajit, Bu, and Chandrani, and Guwahati, after 2 weeks of vegging out. 



And sure enough, on the way out we pass the Central Semen Bank.  So that’s where it all goes, huh?


     1510
Above left:  Hitched a ride with this guy (next to me) and then helped these other mean looking (but quite friendly) dudes unload mustard oil and other sundries from the back of this rickety truck.  The driver said he used to drink whiskey heavily while driving until his brother died in a drunk driving accident.  Now he just drinks beer.  Above right: I did not patronize the Pee Pee Traders.  Not sure about this rickshaw driver though.


1512     1485
Above left: Chicken Internet is unbelievably good, all for less than 50 cents!  Above right:  This preying mantis was trying to chamelionize itself to match my sock, I think.








1490
These nice people ALL helped me fix a flat tire, and then we all had tea together. 


1486
This high-school kid (in the green shirt) saw me pedal into his town near dark and offered up his house for me to stay.  His mom made some awesome grub from a chicken she’d just killed, and in the morning she milked the family cow so we could all have a glass of fresh milk!  Thanks!


1488
These guys were totally wasted when they saw me roll into their town, and although they didn’t put me up for the night, they took me to the best hotel deal in town, which turned out to be $2 for a totally decent, clean room with no bedbugs.  Then they bought a bunch of whiskey and got me a little tipsy too!


1461     1463
Above left: Magic potato chip bag creates water.  Above right: Cool bug.

1399
Another cool bug.