Beard...Less?

Before I started this trip, I made a resolution not to trim my beard until it was all over.  I told myself that I wanted to grow a super cool heavy metal beard that I could braid and use for glorious headbanging sessions.  I lasted a good 6 months before I caved in and shaved it all off. 

Back in April I shaved my beard. 


I had a lot of reasons for shaving. It was getting damn hot in Thailand; the beard required a surprising amount of upkeep; it lowered my average speed by about 10% (that's a joke); ladies kept telling me to shave my damn face, and one brazen vixen drunkenly declared that I had "pubes on my face."  But the kicker was the guys.  I would be approached by clean shaven men, who would applaud my beard-growing perseverance, but there was always a glimmer of something else in their eyes – mockery? Not quite, but more of a look that said "but WHY, dude?" 

It was after a few of these incidents that I realized not only was the beard meaningless to me, it didn't even help to include me into a club of "bearded men" or anything like that.  There was no societal benefit.  In fact, by wearing such an extravagant facial tuft, I'd isolated myself from the beardless.  I was telling ladies that I had no interest in forming relationships with them, and other guys that I didn't give a s**t what they thought or about interacting with them, and maybe I was even mocking their more socially acceptable appearances in a way.  None of that was what I intended to do.  So I shaved. 

I wasn't prepared for the transmorgification that shaving would bring about.  +10 to self-confidence reserves, a noticeable improvement in the number of women who checked me out, old ladies being kinder to me, firmer handshakes from men, etc etc...it was as if I had rejoined society and unburdened myself of some heavy philosophical weight all at the same time. 

I'm not saying beards are bad.  But this experience really hit home that more-so than what you do, it's why and how you do it that counts.  Anyway, for the time being, I think I'll remain beardless.