Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park

If you ever make it to Thailand, be sure and spend some time in one (or a few) of its national parks.  They literally litter the countryside, are often within easy access of major cities, and are always well-worth the extra effort of getting there.  Most of them have camping facilities, some even have restaurants, so that you don't even have to leave the park to find sustenance. 

One such park I visited recently was Khao Sam Roi Yot, south of Bangkok.  A little enclave of karst formations amongst an otherwise flat landscape, Khao Sam Roi Yot is full of caves, fishing villages, and quiet little beaches.  The $6 entrance fee gets you in for 3 weeks, and includes camping on the beach!  Here are some photos.


Above and below:  It was nice getting off the highway on the way out to the park, but I still had to battle a brisk headwind.







Above: The first (only) bike lane I've seen in SE Asia.  I managed to ride this, unobstructed, for 30 minutes!


Above and below:  Some beach scenes from Khao Sam Roi Yot.  I basically just spent a couple days there doing mostly nothing.  I'd only intended to pass through, but it was so nice and quiet I just had to stay longer. 





 






 

 




 3CHRIS
And finally, my camping set up! 


Basically, a lot of Thailand is like this.  Compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, Thailand really has its act together, so I'm left feeling like I'm more on vacation than anything else, and I don't really have a lot of commentary on social issues or economic development, because most Thai people seem to have enough to be content, the land is relatively clean, the roads safe and well paved, and even political unrest is pretty peaceful.  It's almost TOO easy.  I guess that means it's time to get outta here and head to Burma!